Thursday, April 17, 2008

I Know - - I Take FOREVER!!

Okay, so I know my birthday was almost a month ago, but here's how it went down.


My birthday was on a Thursday which meant that I got out of class around lunchtime. That was a good thing considering I needed to go to the DMV to get my license renewed. (1. it expired that day and 2. I needed to get the "under 21" taken off). Okay, so I went to to the DMV - no big deal - I was only there for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, and I was all done - brand new license (no "under 21") and I was ready to go.


So, my 21st birthday - can you guess what I did to celebrate . . . WRONG!!! I studied for a test that I had the next day - some birthday, huh?


(just in case you were wondering - I got an A on the test)


The next day (Friday), Mom and Dad took me out to celebrate my birthday. I had been wanting to go to Texas de Brazil for a long time. Mom and Dad had both been and they loved it and talked about how amazing it was. I really wanted to go because not only do I love food, but I've kinda gotten into cooking lately so I wanted to see the different ways foods could be prepared. A little culinary adventure of my own I guess. Mom got reservations for us to go eat that night and I must say - - IT WAS AMAZING!! First of all, anything wrapped in bacon is going to be incredible. Second of all, mashed potatoes are good no matter what's in them. I tried lamb (not impressed), fillet mignon wrapped in bacon (heaven on a plate), flank steak (melted like butter), chicken breast wrapped in bacon (did I mention BACON!), beef ribs (I prefer pork ribs - cooked by Daddy), and Brazilian sausage (Whoo!). We had a dish of garlic mashed potatoes that we all shared (I was immediately in love), and fried bananas that were supposed to cleanse your palate after each food (I don't know about the cleansing part - but those were some good bananas). We also each got a plate from the salad/side bar that has . . . about a million things on it. Everything from ordinary salad ingredients to roasted peppers to tuna sushi - I tried somethings that I didn't even know what they were. So basically, dinner was AWESOME!!



After dinner, we went over the the Peabody Hotel and sat in the lobby to "people watch." Really we went there because Daddy thought it would be fun for us to have a drinks to celebrate my 21st birthday. So we sat down at a table in the lobby near the bar. One of the waitresses came over and gave us a drink menu. We all decided what we wanted and then she came back and we told her what we wanted to drink (shot of Crown on the rocks - strawberry daiquiri - and then me - Apple Martini). I was reaching into my purse to get my license when I noticed . . . . she had walked away. Our waitress took down our drink orders and then left - SHE DIDN'T CARD ME!! I couldn't believe it, my first day to order an alcoholic drink and I didn't even get to show off my shiny new license. I have to admit, though, I wasn't real upset about it - just kinda surprised.


I guess what I'm saying is that I had an incredible birthday. Dinner was amazing and the Peabody was a lot of fun. It was a great way to "cap off" all the other things I got for my birthday prior to the actual day. Now I'm legal - whoop-dee-doo.

No comments: